VALENCIAN LANGUAGE vs BARCELONI DIALECT (=neoCATALAN)
LENGUA VALENCIAN LANGUAGE vs BARCELONÍ DIALECT (=neoCATALÁN ).
HISTORICAL DOCUMENTS and QUOTATIONS in :
“CRONOLOGIA HISTÓRICA DE LA LENGUA VALENCIANA”.(2007) “LENGUA VALENCIANA, una LENGUA SUPLANTADA”.(2006)
The unquestionable existence of the historical Valencian Language is endorsed by the accurate compilation of the journalistic documents in the book “VALENCIAN LANGUAGE, A LANGUAGE SUPPLANTED (Diputación of Valencia 2006) and of the documents and historical quotations in: "HISTORICAL CHRONOLOGY OF THE VALENCIAN LANGUAGE” (Diputación of Valencia 2007) of the authoress and philologist Mª Teresa Puerto Ferre, in a long list of testimonies that go from the Iberian inscriptions of the IVth century up to the battle hold over the last two centuries for its survival as language .
The special edition of the two books, mentioned above, answers to the target to clarify some essential facts in defense of our historical Valencian Language (spoken in the Kingdom of Valencia for centuries) and to dismount the insidious campaign developed against it, world-wide, by the fast-growing Catalan nationalism.
This long insiduous campaign has been perfectly designed to supplant our historical Valencian Language by the artificial Barceloni dialect (now called Catalan) . The strong publishing Catalan industry as well as the powerful financial means (provided by the Catalan nationalist Government ) have been in charge of its marketing and its most effective world-wide campaign.
The book "HISTORICAL CHRONOLOGY OF THE VALENCIAN LANGUAGE” (Diputación of Valencia 2007) is an excellent anthology of historical documents and literary testimonies to our old Valencian Language (dated from the 10th century) , proving the authenticity of its unquestionables existence . The definition “I am writing in my Valencian mother tongue” is constantly used by thousands of our literary writers , in their prologues and epilogues. They never used the expression Catalan, which remained as a mixture of non-standardized dialects until 1906 .
There are some essential facts which must be stated and remembered:
1. It is an unquestionable fact that our historical Valencian Language has always existed as a written Romance language since the early 10th century .
2. It is an unquestionable fact that our historical Valencian Language was the first neo-Latin language having a Literary Golden Century ( 15th and 16th centuries) when famous writers such as, Joanot Martorell, Jordi de San Jordi, Jaume March, Ausias March, Jaume Roig, Roiç de Corella , Sor Isabel de Villena,… and many more clearly state in their plays : “ I am writing in my Valencian mother tongue language”.
3. It is an unquestionable fact that our historical Valencian language reached its peak as well as its full independence in the lexical, phonetic, morphosyntaxic and semantic fields during that Golden 15th –16th Century.
4. It is an unquestionable fact that our historical Valencian language was a fully structured language having excellent editions of Valencian grammars (Andreae Semperi. Alcoi , 1546) and dictionaries (“Liber Elegantiarum”.Valencia 1472) in the XV and XVI centuries, and until now.
5. It is an unquestionable fact that our historical Valencian Language had the first Bible translated into a neo-latin language from latin in 1478 by Fray Bonifaci Ferrer (presently exhibited at the Hispanic Society of New York)
6. It is an unquestionable fact that our historical Valencian Language had the first Kempis translated into a neo-latin language from latin in 1482 by Miquel Perez.
On the contrary , it is an unquestionable fact that the Barceloní dialect (now called modern Catalan) :
7. Is a modern-laboratory invention produced by the industrial engineer Pompeu Fabra in 1906 .The “Barceloní dialect” was chosen as standard among the different dialects spoken in Catalonia .
8. Catalan did not exist as a standardized language in the 19th century : it was just one of the various Provenzal dialects.
9. According to the Father of the modern Romance Linguistics , the German linguist Friedrich Diez, Catalan has always been a mixture of Provençal dialects (“Grammatik der romanischen Sprachen”.1836) . The same opinion was expressed by his disciple the Swiss linguist Meyer Lübcke ( “Grammaire des Langues Romanes”.1880) and a large number of international linguists .
10. Modern Catalan standard was produced by a non-linguist amateur ( the industrial engineer Pompeu Fabra ) and derived into an artificial laboratory language full of gallicisms . 11. Catalan has always had a very poor literary background and lacks the Golden Century Literarure produced in the Valencian language in the 15th-16th centuries.
12. That is the reason for the Catalan shameful plundering of our Valencian literary heritage , for the process of extermination of our historical Valencian language and for its present supplantation by the Barceloni dialect..
Historically, Valencia has always been a Kingdom , with its own “FURS” (laws) and with a brilliant literary tradition and culture , whereas Catalonia has only been a poor collection of feudal Counties with a very poor background in all matters.
To our surprise , what used to be a a historical golden language (Valenciano) has now become a “dialect”. And what used to be a dialect ( Barceloni/Catalan) has now become a “language” … . So much for Catalan magic and sleight of hand.
Phoney Catalan nationalists and their over powerful army of publishers have made the chameleon trick . However, there is also a dangerous intention : their purpose is to colonise , mentally and socially, the indoctrinated Valencian youth as well as turning their Barceloni dialect into a prosperous “money-making-machine”. Most Valencian pupils and students are being defined as “the useful idiots” of this prosperous nationalist business . Orwellian´s Big Brother has been re-born.
This new book “Cronologia Historica de la lengua Valenciana” is the necessary antidote against that fast-growing nationalism in Catalonia and its insane ambition to grab what has never been part of their heritage : our historical VALENCIAN LANGUAGE. ,
Mª Teresa Puerto Ferre, B.A.,M. Anglo-Roman Phil. Catedrática de Lengua Inglesa Miembro-docente del Aula de Cultura de la Real Academia de Cultura Valenciana (RACV) ex- Coordinadora de Didáctica Especifica de la Lengua Inglésa.S.F.P. Universidad de Valencia (Valencia –SPAIN)